Thursday, March 10, 2011

She's Baa-ack: Lavender Cupcakes with Honey Lavender Frosting

Today is one of those days when I confess I am remembering why I go to work. It's been raining since last night, and so we haven't gone anywhere. A friend from work who was supposed to visit had to cancel.  My other friend ended up not being able to meet for coffee.  I considered making a trip to my favorite ice cream store, but thought better about it once I realized I'd have to cross roads that are perpetually flooded to get there.  And my hair salon couldn't fit me in for a haircut (which I have not had for over six months) during N's "naptime."  N. has been refusing to sleep except on my shoulder, and sometimes even crying when she's on my shoulder, because it's not comfortable enough for her to fall asleep (no kidding, girlie).  We had been walking around the house like zombies since about 7:30 a.m., and as much as I love my daughter, the end of the day couldn't come soon enough.  I don't know how those of you who are stay at home moms do it; my hat's off to you amazing women.

I am yearning for spring, for consistent better weather, and for a time when N. figures out how to take naps instead of getting mad at the world for interfering with her ability to go to sleep.

In the middle of my frustration, I remembered a little canister of culinary lavender that I'd been given by my husband's friend and coworker.  We had been talking about cupcakes over a batch of pistachio rosewater cupcakes that I'd made over the summer, and they had been encouraging me to start a business from my cupcake-making hobby.  We were dreaming up flavors together, and the natural extrapolation from rosewater was lavender.  I had complained that I wanted to try lavender cupcakes but hadn't been able to find culinary lavender.  Some time later, in late fall, my husband brought home a small package from them, containing the most wonderful-smelling delicate lavender flowers.  Today was a good day, I decided, to make lavender cupcakes. It's been a while since I've baked anything fancy, and perhaps I needed to taste spring.  And after all, didn't you start reading this blog for the cupcakes?

I happened to have self-rising flour, which I used in place of the flour/baking powder/salt, but you can use the separate ingredients; just sift them together before you add them to the batter.  Though I can't do a damn thing about sleep training, hopefully if we bake some of these, spring will come faster.  Right?


Lavender Cupcakes

1/2 c., granulated sugar
1/4 t. dried lavender flowers
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
1 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2 T. milk

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Put the sugar and the lavender flowers in a food processor and process briefly to combine. Tip the lavender sugar into a bowl with the butter and beat together until pale and fluffy.

Beat the eggs into the butter mixture, one at a time, then sift in the dry ingredients and fold in. Stir in the milk.

Spoon the mixture into the paper liners. Bake in the preheated oven for about 18 minutes, until risen and golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Honey Lavender Frosting

2/3 c. cream cheese, softened
3 T. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/3 c. confectioner's sugar, sifted
2 T. honey
red and blue food coloring (optional)
Choose one or both:
1-2 t. dried lavender flowers, ground
1-2 t. dried lavender flowers, whole

Beat the cream cheese, butter, and confectioner's sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer, until light and creamy. Beat in the honey and a few drops of the food coloring. Stir in the ground lavender flowers.

Spread the frosting onto the cupcakes and sprinkle with the reserved lavender flowers.
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Seriously, my hat's off to you, amazing woman, who somehow finds the time and energy and gumption to make these delicious cupcakes and frosting while taking care of a cranky newborn. Oh my gosh, I wish you were my next door neighbor and that you always made double batches of your yummy food, which you would then hand over the fence and let me mooch off of. Any plans to move to Florida? It's spring here already...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound amazing and look beautiful. I love love love cupcakes! G. and I make cupcakes or frosted sugar cookies at different holidays for our neighbors in our condo complex. I think they like it. Particularly since they are older (grandma age) ladies.

    I might need to try this one soon. :)
    Hope N starts sleeping in a location other than your shoulders soon.

    I too commend SAHM's Wow. Lately, I feel so big and tired I look forward to work because it is about 100 times easier than a 3 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, how do you find the time and energy to make such amazing things?! Were the cupcakes as delish as they look? One of the dilemmas with reading your blog is that you have a habit of making me hungry for things I don't have in my house...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look yummy! And you baked! :-) I hope N learns how to nap soon – and not just on your shoulder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was such a thoughtful gift for someone to give you. Don't you love when someone remembers something you said and goes out of their way like that. I need to be better about that.

    Sorry sleep is so hard to come by. Babies just don't know how good they've got it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look/sound incredible!!! I think you should go with the cupcake shop idea. That's exactly what this area needs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness... i love love love all things lavender. i'm drooling just imagining the smell from those cupcakes-- YUM!

    & kudos to you for finding time to bake! hopefully little N gets that whole "how to sleep" dilemma sorted out soon, for both your sakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful way to see in Spring. And, oh, please, let spring spring once and for all. I hope N catches the hang of this sleep thing. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, those look amazing! I need cupcakes, now! ;)

    ReplyDelete

  10. Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail. com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...